Monday, July 29, 2013

The United Nations: A World of its Own

It was the first week of the Human Rights Council and an urgent session had been called to discuss the deteriorating situation and escalating civil war in Syria.  Both the rebels and soldiers fighting for Assad had been accused of torture and murder of innocent civilians.  Her Excellency Navi Pillay addressed the council and began discussing strategies for peace, seeking the beginning of the end to this bloody conflict.  It played out like a movie: the US and European countries said they would support the rebels to overthrow Assad.  Countries such as Egypt, Cuba, Russia, and China accused the US of inhumane intervention and called for a cease and desist to their actions.  Syria defending its action blamed the rebels and the US.  Switzerland remained neutral.

The meetings are actually not quite as exciting as they may seem.  The article you read in the newspaper may take 10 minutes to read, but it covers 3-6 hours of meeting time.  In fact, sometimes when I read the articles on the internet, I have to remind myself that I was there as it feels like two different worlds.  During the Syria meeting, I felt the need to stretch my legs and took a break to use the restroom.  I strolled leisurely through the Palais des Nations and entered the nearest restroom.  When I was in the bathroom (I don’t want to be vulgar, but must tell this), who would come up and use the urinal next to me but the Ambassador of Syria!  I did a double take, which can be a mistake in itself in a bathroom, just to make sure I wasn’t imagining things.  I took my time washing my hands and he fixed his hair, splashed his face and checked his teeth.  The whole time in my mind I kept thinking, “Shouldn’t you be in the meeting?  Isn’t this kind of important?  They’re only discussing the future of your country in a time of crisis.”

I returned to the meeting as he did and it appeared that they had kept going despite his absence.  I told the other volunteers the story and they were equally at a loss for words. 

Delegates Restaurant
In another instance, Valentina and I attended a side-event discussion presented by the Order of Malta to discuss Extreme Poverty and ways to combat poverty.  The session was interesting and informative, but the events that followed are still a bit baffling to me.  As the session concluded, we were invited to attend a small reception in the Delegates Restaurant on the 8th Floor of the United Nations.  As we made our way into the upscale room, our eyes were drawn to the tables full of fancy hors d'oeuvre, wine, cocktails, desserts, and more.  We were still taking it all in when we caught sight of the balcony overlooking the park behind the United Nations which ran all the way to Lake Geneva. 
I'll take one of everything, thanks.

We were stunned by all the wonderful food and the breathtaking view and the glamour of it all, but something didn’t feel quite right.  It was in that moment, along with others, that I understood what people meant by the UN being its own world or “drinking its own juice”.  Both Monica and Chris had used these expressions respectively, and although they both believed in what the UN stood for, they oftentimes were frustrated by the modus operandi.  Valentina and I talked about it on the way back to Veyrier – the contrast from talking about issues on extreme poverty to enjoying a reception of extreme luxuries. 

In one sense, I understand it – these NGOs and countries are spending lots of money, time, and effort to improve the lives of others throughout the world, so why not have a nice party every now and then?  But on the other hand, I questioned how many of them had actually seen poverty first hand and wondered if some ever would.  It’s a different kind of mission working from the high level – it’s all done through papers and debates and presentations whereas I was used to hard-work and a little divine providence when working on a task. 

Let me make a point while I’m here: I do believe the United Nations does great work.  I believe that the majority of people working with the UN and the NGOs have a desire to help others and it is their calling to do this type of service.  However, as for me, I must stick with the ground level in the future.  It’s the grassroots type work that I’m called to do, even if it is a lot less significant than the work done at the United Nations.  I believe that’s why I found VIDES and the Salesians so fascinating – the Sisters and volunteers are all ready to jump into the thick of it to help.  It takes a lot of energy and sacrifice to become immersed in a community; to live and work alongside the people as you discover more about yourself through the giving up of yourself.  But, maybe that’s why I was called to Geneva – to find this out.  Would I have known for certain that the grassroots level is where I want to work, had I not been able to go to Geneva?  Such questions are impossible to answer, but still dance around in my head.

My time in Geneva has come to an end and it has been a learning experience in so many different ways.  I met some of the most interesting people of my life and will never forget them.  They taught me lessons about life, their culture, faith, and love.  It was not a sad parting since we all began this mission with the end partly in mind.  Of course we felt a sense of longing as we each went back home, but we also left with a feeling of richness.  To have shared those three months in the company of such motivated and inspiring peers knowing that they are someone you can call on whenever you need gives an incredible feeling of appreciation and gratitude.  As I get ready for my newest mission (home!) I am left with so many experiences and memories to reflect upon.  On my way home, I was able to watch a movie on the plane – a rarity for me these days.  The film was “Beasts of the Southern Wild”, and it ended with a quote that struck me emotionally.  Maybe it was just the right time and place for it – on the plane to see my family after so much has happened.  Maybe it’s just a quote that we all feel on the inside.  Of that I am not sure, but I’ll end with it and hope that you get something from it as well.


When it all goes quiet behind my eyes, I see everything that made me lying around in invisible pieces. When I look too hard, it goes away. And when it all goes quiet, I see they are right here. I see that I'm a little piece in a big, big universe. And that makes things right.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Russell! Thanks for all the love you put into your mission. Now comes the time to share the wisdom you have imbibed, not so much with word as much as with who you are and are becoming. God bless!

    ReplyDelete