Thursday, May 23, 2013

Recap Part 5: Old Friends and New Acquaintances



Calen, Kim, and little Keadan - born on
Valentine's Day
My fifth phase preparing for Geneva was a 3-month opportunity to work in the VIDES Office with Sister Gloria in the Provincial House in San Antonio.  Following the Christmas holidays, I visited my best friend Calen and his fiancĂ©e, Kim, on New Year’s Eve with a planned flight from Lexington the next morning.  For me, it was a great send off to my next mission as I was both nervous and excited to work in San Antonio.  I knew that I’d get to meet a whole new group of volunteers as they prepared for their missions but I was worried about making comparisons with my orientation group.  

Nevertheless I was picked up from the airport by Sister Teresa Jones and two other volunteers: Chelsea and Rachel.  We got to know each other on the way back and I had a good feeling that the group would be unique in its own way.  The following day, two more volunteers joined us (Christy and Laura) as well as Carmen – who I had the pleasure to work with in Austin.  Together we began our formation / service camp, led by Sister Gloria.
Working with the kids of Pan-Americana Apartments


It was refreshing to be reoriented in Salesian values – especially when led by Sister Gloria, who brings an aura and charismatic presence to the room when she speaks.  Learning about the other volunteers and their faith journey was a beautiful thing as well – I find that faith sharing is integral as a Christian, knowing that we are a human family with an interlocked future makes solidarity a foundation for which to build relationships and grow as one human body.  Though the group was much different from my previous orientation group, it is nearly impossible to compare as each group is unique.  
VIDES 2011 Group

When the two week orientation ended, all the volunteers left to prepare for their missions except for Chelsea, who was to serve at St. John Bosco School across the street.  Rachel was assigned to South Africa, Laura was to go to Geneva followed by South Sudan, and Christy accepted a place in the Canary Islands.  I was fortunate to have another volunteer to serve with; though we did not work together, we ventured the city and Riverwalk many times together in an attempt to get to know as much of San Antonio as possible in the three months we had.
Sharing a good meal at a Mexican Restaurant before
departing

I came to like San Antonio very much, the city itself could be very touristy on weekends, but offered a lot of culture and a sense of community.  The Provincial House always had visiting Salesian Sisters from the US and other communities around the world, which gave me the opportunity to learn about the Salesian presence in the world.  At one point, an English translation team comprised of Sisters from India, Ireland, England, the Philippines, and Australia convened to convert text for several weeks and they became part of our community during that time.  It was enjoyable to share our culture and also hear their stories of home.  Being in a large community of teachers, spiritual leaders, and missionaries allowed me to expand my horizons more than I expected in San Antonio.


 As a previous volunteer, it has been very interesting to see an organization from the inside out, especially one as unique as VIDES USA.  Every year, many volunteers apply, are trained, and sent to a variety of different countries to serve and accompany youth. Such an undertaking must require the work of a team of people to run everything smoothly, right? The reality is that much of the weight of the program is carried on by one humble and dedicated sister: S. Gloria with S Theresa as part-time assistant (who also has a wide range of other tasks in the community). It is amazing for me that she manages all the recruiting, applications, orientation (including formation and service), finances, donations, mission placements, insurance, volunteer support, website, blog, mission projects, promotion, etc.  Life is different here, there is no doubt, but I know I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be - living simply and witnessing so many influential figures devote their life to service and God.

No comments:

Post a Comment